- Take HOSP 1010: Introduction to Hotel and Restaurant Management. This course serves to introduce you to the various roles and areas of the hospitality industry
- HOSP 2600: Event Operations
Ask for Assistance
- Meet regularly with your academic advisor and consult with them when you have concerns about admission to particular classes or need more information about class requirements.
- Begin tracking your hospitality experience. 600 hours of approved hospitality work experience are required as a prerequisite to your required internship. Contact the department for approval before beginning this experience.
- Attend HOSP Career Fair.
- Use Handshake to explore employers actively hiring in your field and search part-time jobs that can add experience to your résumé.
- Join National Society of Minorities in Hospitality (NSMH) and Club Managers Association of America (CMAA)
- Spring: Apply for CHS Student Ambassadors program
- Take HOSP 2910: Hospitality Practicum to gain hands-on experience at Auburn University Hotel and Dixon Conference Center
- Declare your required business minor with the Raymond J. Harbert College of Business
- Use LinkedIn to to identify past graduates in your major and set up informational interviews and shadowing opportunities to gain further understanding of your major in the world of work.
- Look to attend the Study Abroad Fair
- Look for more opportunities on campus to engage by utilizing AUInvolve to identify organizations you’re interested in joining.
- HOSP 3200 Hospitality Financial Management
- HOSP 3400 Hospitality Marketing
- HOSP 3800 Hospitality Information Technology
- HOSP 5460 Catering and Event Management
Ask for Assistance
- Meet with someone in the University Career Center (UCC) to explore career options and receive individualized assistance
- Explore study abroad opportunities.
- Look for leadership opportunities in your organizations to develop practical skills and abilities.
- Apply for a Peer Advisor position
- Eta Sigma Delta (ESD) is an honor organization for the hospitality industry. Become familiar with criterion to join if invited
- If invited, join Kappa Omicron Nu Honor Society
- Internship- HOSP 4920
Ask for Assistance
- Work with your faculty advisor to discuss internship options in an area of interest
- Ask UCC for help in updating your résumé and preparing for job interviews
- Attend career events like the AU Career Fair
- Take on a leadership role within ESD, KON, or other student organizations.
- Connect with AU alumni and stakeholders to enhance professional opportunities
The Event Management Option is designed to attract students pursuing careers in the multi-faceted and ever evolving commercial, and non-commercial Meetings, Incentive, Conference and Events (MICE) sector. This program is designed to position Auburn University to keep pace with this emerging economic sector by educating the trained professionals’ needed to meet the continuing demands of the state’s and nations ever developing hospitality industry and in particular those interested in pursuing a career in the event management field.
Some Career Options
Compare to Assessment Results
Career assessments area great way to learn more about who you are in order to find a career and/or major that will be a good fit.
To learn more about assessments or find out how to get started, start here.
Holland's Code: ECS
Most common* Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) personality types found in this major, in no particular order:
*Every MBTI type is found in every major, these are the most highly concentrated
- Active Listening
- Critical Thinking
- Reading Comprehension
Job and Internship Opportunities
Last modified: July 10, 2020