- In BUSI 1010, you will take self-assessments and learn about majors within the Harbert College of Business to begin career planning.
- Seek opportunities to join Undergraduate Advisory Council and student organizations related to your interests.
- Use Handshake to explore employers actively hiring in your field and search for part-time jobs that can add experience to your résumé.
- Use LinkedIn to identify past graduates in Finance and reach out to see about shadowing and internship opportunities.
- Follow the Harbert College of Business on Twitter @AUBusiness and the Office of Professional and Career Development @AUOPCD.
- Look into joining the Auburn Student Investment Fund to familiarize yourself with finance and possible career paths.
- In BUSI 2010, you will advance your professional skills, polish your resume, develop networking etiquette, and prepare for an internship search and interviewing.
Ask for Assistance
- Meet with a Career Coach in the OPCD to discuss majors of interest and begin planning your internship search for the Fall of the junior year.
- Take advantage of Study Partners, SI sessions, and the academic coaching in the Office of Academic Support.
- The Miller Writing Center can help with your writing assignments and all other writing assistance you may need.
- Begin thinking about leadership roles in organizations with which you are currently involved.
- Follow the Finance Department Blog to see additional professional development opportunities, internships, and job opportunities.
- Attend workshops in the OPCD.
- Attend fall and spring career fairs.
- Study abroad to gain international exposure.
- Check eligibility requirements and look into joining the Financial Management Association Honor Society.
- Look for more opportunities on campus to engage by utilizing AUInvolve to identify organizations you are interested in joining.
- Begin major classes and choose electives that fit your career interest.
- Enroll in the professional development course for your major to apply the skills gained in previous classes to your job and internship search.
Ask for Assistance
- Meet with a career coach in the OPCD to begin planning your internship search and interviewing.
- Attend OPCD events to obtain an internship following junior year in your chosen field.
- Seek out part-time employment opportunities.
- If you are considering earning an MBA, start studying and taking the GMAT.
- Look for leadership opportunities in your organizations to develop practical skills and abilities.
- Become a student member in professional organizations related to your major.
- Work through your major classes and continue electives that fit your career interest.
- Apply to Master of Business Administration programs early fall semester, if interested.
Ask for Assistance
- Meet with your academic advisor to complete a graduation check during your first semester of senior year.
- Schedule time in the OPCD with a career coach to assist with your full-time job search.
- Continue seeking experiences like part-time jobs or job shadowing that will assist you during interviews for full-time employment.
- Retake the GMAT if necessary to achieve the desired score.
- Seek out other leadership roles in organizations.
- Begin to use the connections you have made through campus involvement and career fair networking to begin your full-time job search.
A finance degree familiarizes you with the institutions, theory, and practice involved in the allocation of financial resources within the private and public sectors. There are six areas of focus and students should plan their experiences to align with their area of interest.
- Corporate Finance
- Financial Services
- Investment Banking
- Retail Banking
- Real Estate
Some Career Options
Compare to Assessment Results
Career assessments area great way to learn more about who you are in order to find a career and/or major that will be a good fit.
To learn more about assessments or find out how to get started, start here.
Holland's Code: ESC
Most common* Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) personality types found in this major, in no particular order:
*Every MBTI type is found in every major, these are the most highly concentrated
- Working Conditions
- Active Listening
- Critical Thinking
- Reading Comprehension
Job and Internship Opportunities
Last modified: September 22, 2021